Programs

The Green Lake Sanitary District is involved in a wide variety of activities. Below is an overview of the District’s current major functions. Click on the links provided for greater detail on each function.

Aqweed Harvesting
In a collaborative effort with the Green Lake Association, the Green Lake Sanitary District operates two aqweed harvesting machines to help control the weed growth in Green Lake. Read more…

Garbage Collection/Recycling
The GLSD contracts garbage collection and recycling services for Sanitary District residents. The Sanitary District also assists with certain customer services and administrative issues associated with the solid waste collection program. The District also provides recycling service on a contracted basis for those residents not interested in dropping their recyclables at town recycling centers. Wisconsin law requires all residents who dispose of waste to recycle. Read more…

Lake Pollution Control
The GLSD is involved in a number of lake and watershed pollution control programs including partnerships with the Green Lake County Land Conservation Department, the Fond du Lac County Land Conservation Department, contracts with land owners and BMP’s with land owners. Read more…

Wastewater Treatment
Approximately 80 percent of the waterfront homes are connected to the sewer and their respective wastewater is piped back to the District’s WWTP located at the Northwest end of the lake. The other 20 percent of un-sewered homes are located in pockets around the lake and served by private on-site wastewater treatment systems. These private on-site systems are pumped regularly according to a specific wastewater management plan and their waste is hauled to the District’s WWTP for processing and proper disposal. Read more…

Monitoring
A number of ongoing activities are preformed regularly to insure the protection and health of Big Green Lake. These activities include, but are not limited to: measuring phosphorus and suspended sediment levels in and around the lake, monitoring the clarity of the water at various stations around the lake, bacteria sampling at the lake beaches and lake tributaries, and various other water sampling and temperature tracking. Read more…

Conservancy Properties
The GLSD as part of the Big Green Lake Conservancy Partnership is actively involved in the acquisition, restoration, maintenance and protection of conservancy properties located on or around Big Green Lake. The GLSD’s partners include: the GLC, the Wisconsin DNR, the GLA and the public. The mission of the conservancy partnership group is to acquire and protect environmentally sensitive properties (i.e. woods, waterfront, wetlands) that directly benefit the protection of Big Green Lake. By putting these properties into conservancy, the properties continue to serve their environmental purpose for perpetuity. Read more…

Green Team Events
The Green Team is a partnership comprised of the Green Lake Sanitary District, Green Lake Association, Green Lake Conservancy, Green Lake School District and volunteers who donate their time and talent to enrich our local community through special events and environmentally friendly activities. Read more…

Lake Management Plan
The GLSD in conjunction with its local partners the Green Lake County Land Conservation Department , Green Lake Association and Green Lake Conservancy have been meeting and working on activities with a goal to develop an updated Big Green Lake Management Plan. The specifics of the updated plan should be available in the next 6 to 8 months. Read more…

Fish Related Programs
The GLSD supports numerous initiatives with respect to the fisheries of Big Green Lake. Under warm waters, the GLSD maintains two carp barriers on the lake, funds carp removal,supports fishing related activities and removes nuisance aquatic plants from the lake. Under cold waters, the GLSD operates a fish rearing facility which raises at least 25,000 Lake Trout for release into Big Green Lake in the Spring. Read more…

Shoreland Restoration (RSVP)
RSVP is a partnership program between the DNR, the Green Lake Association and the Green Lake Sanitary District to restore shorelines in and around Big Green Lake. RSVP offers and encourages its property owners to participate in a program which provides cost-sharing (grants) for customers who may be willing to restore their shorelines back to native plant conditions. Read more…